LAFD: 5 swimming pool drownings reported

The heat wave sweeping Southern California had people taking to the water today, and at least five near drownings were reported involving at least three children, according to the city fire department.

A 3-year-old girl who nearly drowned in a backyard swimming pool at the family's home at 9951 Fullbright Ave. in Chatsworth was taken to a hospital this afternoon, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The toddler was conscious and alert when she was transported, he said.

Meantime, an infant boy was pulled from a swimming pool at a house at 16600 Los Alimos St. in Granada Hills, Humphrey said.

The infant was conscious and alert when he was transported, said Humphrey.

And in Pacific Palisades, a 7-year-old girl who was pulled unconscious from a swimming pool at a home at 17790 West Calle de Palermo was airlifted to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, he said.

The girl was unresponsive during the transfer and listed in grave condition, he said.

In Tujunga, a man pulled out of a swimming pool at an apartment complex also was hospitalized in grave condition, he said.

Firefighters were called to 10250 N. Commerce Ave. at 12:34 p.m.

"We quickly arrived at the apartment to find a man who had been pulled from the apartment swimming pool unresponsive by witnesses,'' Humphrey said.

He said a Los Angeles city fire dispatcher guided witnesses in providing CPR to the man. Paramedics transported the man to Verdugo Hills Hospital in grave condition.

At 7:09 p.m., yet another near drowning victim was reported at 16800 Vincennes. Humphrey said that person was taken to a hospital.

Last night, a man who was swept out to sea while fishing off Venice Beach died.

Friends called 911 about 11 p.m. Saturday and said the man -- believed to be in his 40s -- did not emerge from the water just north of the Venice breakwater, off Horizon Avenue.

The man's body was found about 40 minutes later, face down in the ocean, about 20 feet from the Marina del Rey breakwater, according to Sgt. Bruce Kantley of the Marina del Rey sheriff's station.

He was declared dead at Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital.

Authorities believe the man was fishing when he slipped and fell into the water and was swept out to sea, Kantley said.