Brutal details of Giants fan beating revealed in court docs

Gilbert Quinones, the attorney for suspect Louie Sanchez in the Bryan Stow beating case, speaks to reporters outside LA Superior Court on July 25, 2011.
Gilbert Quinones, the attorney for suspect Louie Sanchez in the Bryan Stow beating case, speaks to reporters outside LA Superior Court on July 25, 2011.
Corey Moore/KPCC

Listen to story

Download this story 0MB

Prosecutors allege in court papers filed today that one of the two men accused of beating a San Francisco Giants fan at Dodger Stadium on opening day initially shoved him, followed him after he and his friends walked away, punched him in the side of the head and then kicked him in the head after knocking him unconscious.

The details of the March 31 attack on Bryan Stow in the stadium's parking lot were disclosed in the prosecution's opposition to the defense's request to reduce Louie Sanchez's bail from $500,000.

Sanchez, 29, is charged along with Marvin Norwood, 30, who is also being held on $500,000 bail.

Both men, who are from Rialto, are set to be arraigned Aug. 10, when a judge is expected to consider the defense's request to lower Sanchez's bail amount.

In their court filing, Deputy District Attorneys Michele Hanisee and Frank Santoro alleged the attack on Stow's group was ``a two-part incident'' in which Sanchez initially shoved Stow and punched another man, Mathew Lee.

"The Stow group walked away from the assault and continued to walk toward the edge of the parking lot,'' the prosecutors wrote. "Sanchez and Norwood pursued the Stow group and again assaulted them, several hundred feet from where the first confrontation occurred.''

Sanchez allegedly punched another of Stow's friends, knocking him to the ground, and then ran up behind Stow and punched the paramedic in the side of the head, according to the prosecution's filing.

"Stow's friends, who are paramedics, describe that Stow immediately lost consciousness and fell sideways to the ground without breaking his fall. When Stow's head hit the ground, witnesses heard his head impact the concrete and saw it bounce,'' the prosecutors wrote.

"Defendant Sanchez then kicked the unconscious Stow several times in the head. Defendant Norwood also approached Stow and kicked him.''

Sanchez has had a string of run-ins with the law, including a January 2003 conviction following his arrest for corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant, three DUI arrests and a high-speed police chase in 2005, according to the prosecution's filing.

He was sentenced to a 16-month prison term in February 2008 for violating his probation and was paroled less than five months later, the prosecutors said.

"His prior offenses are all either violent in nature or are the type of offenses that put the public at risk of harm by his irresponsibility,'' the prosecutors wrote in the filing. "The injury of Stow is severe and was not based on an isolated act of violence by Sanchez, but was the culmination of a chain of violent acts against strangers.''

Sanchez's attorney, Gilbert Quinones, told Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Shelly Torrealba that he had not had an opportunity to review "extensive factual allegations'' made by the prosecution in its filing and wanted copies of witness statements.

"I think the bail hearing should go forward on the next date and no later than that,'' the judge said.

Sanchez and Norwood have remained jailed since their July 21 arrests. According to court papers, police recovered "five firearms, including an AR 15 assault rifle'' during a search of Norwood's home. Prosecutors also allege that Sanchez "told witnesses not to provide information about the crime.''

Sanchez's attorney, Gilbert Quinones, said outside court last week that his client was a Dodgers fan who had attended the opening day game with "his brother-in-law, his sister and his child.'' He said Sanchez works as a
supervisor in the auto-detailing department of a Fontana vehicle auction company.

Sanchez "doesn't seem like the type of individual who would do this,'' Quinones said, declining to describe what his client may have told him about the events of March 31.

Norwood's lawyer, Lee Rosen, said his client worked as a carpenter. Both men are charged with mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury, all felonies.

Sanchez is also charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from another alleged run-in the same day, when he allegedly attacked another man and woman.

The charging document refers to injuries that caused Stow "to become comatose due to brain injury and to suffer paralysis.''

Police said Stow was attacked solely because he was wearing Giants apparel while his attackers and the female getaway driver were wearing Dodgers gear.

Stow, a 42-year-old Santa Cruz paramedic and a father of two, remains hospitalized at San Francisco General Hospital.

An initial suspect in the case, 31-year-old Giovanni Ramirez, was arrested May 22 but was never charged in the Stow beating. He has now been cleared of any involvement, even though Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck initially expressed confidence the right man had been arrested.

Ramirez is now imprisoned in San Diego on a violation of his parole stemming from another case, but his attorneys are petitioning for his release. Stow's assailants allegedly fled in a car driven by a woman.

Dorene Virginia Sanchez, 31, the sister of Louie Sanchez and the wife or girlfriend of Norwood, was arrested on suspicion of being an accessory, but she was released on $50,000 bail. She has not been charged, but has a tentative court date of Aug. 19, according to Los Angeles County Jail records.

According to various media reports, Sanchez may have testified against her brother and Norwood before a county grand jury. Sanchez faces a maximum of nine years in prison if convicted, while Norwood would face up to eight years behind bars, according to prosecutors.