Two teenage boys who were arrested last month for allegedly plotting to kill students and staff at South Pasadena High School are being sent home under house arrest to their parents, KPCC media partner NBC L.A. reports, until their next court appearance. The boys, whose names aren't being released due to their ages, have both denied the charges against them, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
The 16 and 17-year-old boys, who were about to begin their senior year of high school, face charges including conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon and making criminal threats, according to the Pasadena Star-News. The boys have denied all charges. Their parents have declined comment.
The teens had a "huge plan of a school massacre," according to police, targeting both random students and three specific staff members.
"They just wanted to — as they put it — they just wanted to kill as many people as possible," South Pasadena Police Chief Art Miller said. They had no target date for the plan, but did potentially have access to a firearm, according to Miller.
The boys allegedly told another teen their plan and later threatened to kill that teen, according to a written statement from Deputy District Attorney Rebecca Lewis. That teen told authorities about the alleged plan.
An attorney representing one of the teens told the Los Angeles Times that he doesn't believe prosecutors have enough evidence to convict the boys on the most serious charges.
When police initially took the boys into custody, one of them resisted and police had to break into the boy's home to take him into custody as he tried running, according to South Pasadena police Sgt. Brian Solinsky.
The boys are set to return to court Oct. 30 for a judge to determine whether they will remain at home or be taken into custody during trial, NBC L.A. reports.