The nominations for the 67th annual Emmy Awards celebrating television were announced at 8:30 a.m. in West Hollywood Thursday.
"Game of Thrones" earned a leading 24 Emmy Award nominations, including for best drama series.
Presenters Uzo Aduba from "Orange is the New Black" and Cat Deeley from "So You Think You Can Dance" announced the nominees.
The Emmy announcement was displaced from its home at the TV academy headquarters in Los Angeles by a renovation project. The change to a theater in West Hollywood also moved the traditional pre-dawn back by several hours, making it unavailable to network morning shows that typically aired it.
"Game of Thrones" wasn't hurt with TV academy voters by controversy over its depiction of a female character's rape, earning five more nominations than it did last year. It's a contender again for best drama series, an award that has eluded it.
The TV academy took a step toward recognizing the increasingly diverse talent on TV, giving best actress nods to black stars Taraji P. Henson for "Empire" and Viola Davis for "How to Get Away with Murder."
That's sets up a possibility of a history-making win: An African-American actress has never won the top drama acting award.
Some of the nominations for the top categories are:
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series
- Bob Odenkirk as Jimmy McGill in "Better Call Saul"
- Kyle Chandler as John Rayburn in "Bloodline"
- Kevin Spacey as Francis Underwood in "House of Cards"
- Jon Hamm as Don Draper in "Mad Men"
- Jeff Daniels as Will McAvoy in "The Newsroom"
- Liev Schreiber as Ray Donovan in "Ray Donovan"
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series Empire
- Taraji P. Henson as Cookie Lyon in "Empire"
- Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in "Homeland"
- Robin Wright as Claire Underwood in "House of Cards"
- Viola Davis as Annalise Keating in "How to Get Away With Murder"
- Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson in "Mad Men"
- Tatiana Maslany as Sarah, Alison, Cosima, Helena, Rachel and Krystal in "Orphan Black"
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Or A Movie
- Timothy Hutton as Russ in "American Crime"
- Ricky Gervais as Derek in "Derek Special"
- Adrien Brody as Harry Houdini in "Houdini"
- David Oyelowo as Peter Snowden in "Nightingale"
- Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell in "Wolf Hall"
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Limited Series Or A Movie
- Felicity Huffman as Barb in "American Crime"
- Jessica Lange as Elsa Mars Bessie in "American Horror Story: Freak Show"
- Queen Latifah as Bessie Smith in "Bessie"
- Maggie Gyllenhaal as Nessa Stein in "The Honorable Woman"
- Frances McDormand as Olive Kitteridge in "Olive Kitteridge"
- Emma Thompson as Mrs. Lovett in "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (Live From Lincoln Center)"
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series
- Anthony Anderson as Andre Johnson in "black-ish"
- Matt LeBlanc as Matt LeBlanc in "Episodes"
- Don Cheadle as Marty Kaan in "House of Lies"
- Will Forte as Phill Miller in "The Last Man On Earth"
- Louis C.K. as Louie in "Louie"
- William H. Macy as Frank Gallagher in "Shameless"
- Jeffrey Tambor as Maura Pfefferman in "Transparent"
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series
- Lisa Kudrow as Valerie Cherish in "The Comeback"
- Lily Tomlin as Frankie in "Grace and Frankie"
- Amy Schumer as Amy in "Inside Amy Schumer"
- Edie Falco as Jackie Peyton in "Nurse Jackie"
- Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope in "Parks and Recreation"
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as President Selina Meyer in "Veep"
Outstanding Comedy Series
- Louie • FX Networks • Pig Newton, Inc. and FX Productions
- Modern Family • ABC • Picador Productions and Steven Levitan Productions in association with 20th Century Fox Television
- Parks And Recreation • NBC • Deedle-Dee Productions, Fremulon, 3 Arts Entertainment and Universal Television
- Silicon Valley • HBO • HBO Entertainment in association with Judgemental Films, Alec Berg, Altschuler Krinsky Works and 3 Arts Entertainment Transparent • Amazon Instant Video • Amazon Studios
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt • Netflix • Universal Television, Little Stranger Inc., 3 Arts Entertainment and Bevel Gears for Netflix
- Veep • HBO • HBO Entertainment in association with Dundee Productions
Outstanding Drama Series
- Better Call Saul • AMC • Sony Pictures Television / Gran Via Productions
- Downton Abbey • PBS • A Carnival Films/Masterpiece Co-Production in association with NBC Universal
- Game Of Thrones • HBO • HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; Television 360; Startling Television and Generator Productions
- Homeland • Showtime • SHOWTIME Presents, Fox 21, Teakwood Lane Productions, Cherry Pie Productions, Keshet
- House Of Cards • Netflix • Donen/Fincher/Roth and Trigger Street Productions, Inc. in association with Media Rights Capital for Netflix
- Mad Men • AMC • Lionsgate Television / UROK Productions
- Orange Is The New Black • Netflix • Lionsgate Television for Netflix
See the full list of nominees at emmys.com.
The Emmy ceremony will air Sept. 20 on Fox with Andy Samberg as host.
This post has been updated.