Crime & Justice

San Bernardino shooting: Syed Rizwan Farook practiced at gun range 2 days before shootings

Buddhist monks from the Khmer Buddhist Society of San Bernardino join others gathered beside a makeshift shrine Dec. 7, 2015 in San Bernardino. The husband and wife behind the shooting in California that left 14 people dead December 2 were radicalized for
Buddhist monks from the Khmer Buddhist Society of San Bernardino join others gathered beside a makeshift shrine Dec. 7, 2015 in San Bernardino. The husband and wife behind the shooting in California that left 14 people dead December 2 were radicalized for "quite some time" and both went for target practice before the massacre, authorities said Monday.
Frederic J. Brown/AFP/Getty Images

San Bernardino shooters Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik were radicalized and had been for some time, the FBI said at a Monday press conference. Farook and Malik killed 14 and injured another 21 in a shooting at a gathering of San Bernardino County health department employees on Wednesday, Dec. 2. Some people who were shot remained hospitalized Monday.

Updates

Update 5:44 p.m. Syed Rizwan Farook practiced at gun range 2 days before shootings

An instructor at a Riverside gun range says a man who opened fire at a holiday luncheon practiced at the range with what appeared to be a new rifle just two days before the attack.

John Galletta said Monday a review of surveillance video and records confirmed Syed Farook was shooting at the Riverside Magnum Range on Nov. 29 and Nov. 30.

Galletta says at one point, Farook asked a range representative to check his rifle because it was smoking. Galletta says the person told him that was probably because it was new.

Galletta says there was otherwise nothing out of the ordinary in Farook's behavior.

Custody of shooter couple's child remains up in the air

A custody hearing was held but no long-term decisions were made on the status of the 6-month-old daughter of Farook and Malik.

Saira Khan, the older sister of shooter Syed Farook, is seeking to adopt the child.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, whose attorney is representing Khan, said in a statement Monday that the child remains in the custody of San Bernardino County Child Protective Services and another hearing has been scheduled for next month.

CAIR says it is seeking to have the child placed with a Muslim foster family and to be reunited with relatives as soon as possible.

The county has declined comment on the child's status.

The couple left the girl with family members saying they were headed to a doctor's appointment before Wednesday's shooting at a holiday party.

San Bernardino victim memorials begin Friday

Memorial services for some of the 14 people killed in the mass shooting at a California social services center have been scheduled to begin Friday.

The family of 60-year-old Isaac Amanios says they are planning a viewing Friday in San Bernardino. A burial and memorial service is expected to be held for the 60-year-old county health inspector on Saturday.

Friends and family of Shannon Johnson have scheduled a public funeral service for the 45-year-old Saturday in Jesup, Georgia.

Memorial services have also been planned for Harry Bowman, Larry Daniel Kaufman and Nicholas Thalasinos.

All five men worked as inspectors with the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health and were shot and killed by co-worker Farook and his wife Malik.

AP

Update 3:54 p.m. Syed Rizwan Farook practiced at local gun range

An instructor at a gun range in Riverside says the man who opened fire on a gathering of his co-workers practiced with a rifle there before the attack.

John Galletta said Monday that he saw Syed Rizwan Farook using his own gun at the Riverside Magnum Range.

But Galletta says no one at the range could recall seeing Farook's wife, Tashfeen Malik. She helped her husband kill 14 people Wednesday.

The instructor declined to say how many times Farook visited the range, which is about 20 miles from where the killings took place. Galletta says he never spoke to Farook during those visits.

Asked if he and others should have been suspicious, he replied, "How do you determine what somebody's intents are?"

Dispatch tapes show Syed Rizwan Farook was a suspect as officers were at the scene

Dispatch tapes show police had the name of one of the California shooting suspects as officers swarmed the scene of the massacre.

Recordings posted by The Press-Enterprise newspaper include an officer saying Syed Farook was a possible suspect. The officer says Farook seemed nervous when he left the building in San Bernardino before the attack and he matched the description of a shooter.

Witnesses told officers that two gunmen were wearing ski-type masks and vests.

The tapes reveal the back-and-forth between officers in the field and calm-talking dispatchers.

At one point, a dispatcher advises all units that potentially three suspects wearing black masks and possibly tactical vests had fled in a black SUV with assault rifles.

Police later said Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, were the only two shooters.

Health employees trained to respond to workplace shootings in same room as actual shooting

Authorities say San Bernardino County health employees received training last year on how to react to a workplace shooter in the same conference room where Farook and Malik gunned down his co-workers.

County spokeswoman Felisa Cardona says it wasn't immediately clear whether Syed Farook attended the autumn 2014 training for environmental health workers. She says it was held in a conference room at a social service center — the same one that the public health department rented for its holiday party.

One employee in the room when Farook and his Malik opened fire said colleagues tried to do just as they had been trained — find cover and stay quiet.

Corwin Porter, health department assistant director, said Monday that the room didn't provide much protection.

AP

Update 1:20 p.m. 6 victims remain hospitalized, 2 in critical condition

At least six injured patients from Wednesday’s attack on the Inland Regional Center remain hospitalized Monday.

Two Loma Linda University Medical Center patients are in critical condition and two are in fair condition, a spokeswoman said.

One patient who is in good condition remains at the St. Bernardine Medical Center, said spokesperson Stephanie Johnson. Two had originally been admitted to the medical center after the attack. Two others taken to the Community Hospital of San Bernardino after the shooting have been discharged.

At Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Jennifer Stevens, one of those injured, will be released, her family said in a statement issued Sunday by San Bernardino County.

“Jen is healing well and is glad to be going home to continue her recovery,” according to her family. “Our family is grateful for the outpouring of support and goodwill Jen has received and would like to thank everyone who helped during this ordeal."

The family said it appreciated the public’s continued support and respect for Stevens’ privacy.

Stevens is the last remaining patient at the Regional Medical Center from the six who were originally taken to the hospital following the attack.

KPCC staff

12:56 p.m. FBI confirms suspects were radicalized 

The FBI confirmed in a press conference Monday that both suspects in the San Bernardino shooting — Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik— were radicalized.

"Both subjects were radicalized and have been for some time," said assistant director David Bowdich. 

David Bowdich, FBI Assistant Director in Charge of the Los Angeles Field Office, speaks to the media about the terrorist attack at the Inland Regional Center on Dec. 7, 2015 in San Bernardino. Law enforcement officials continue to investigate the mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino that left 14 people dead and another 17 injured on Dec. 2.
David Bowdich, FBI Assistant Director in Charge of the Los Angeles Field Office, speaks to the media about the terrorist attack at the Inland Regional Center on Dec. 7, 2015 in San Bernardino. Law enforcement officials continue to investigate the mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino that left 14 people dead and another 17 injured on Dec. 2.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Bowdich did not offer additional details on how and when they were radicalized. 

Bowdich said the FBI's investigation is "massive in scale" and that the agency has collected 320 pieces of evidence and conducted "well over 400 interviews by now." He confirmed that the FBI did not have an open investigation into Farook during the time of the attack.

Farook and Malik had participated in target practice at ranges in the Los Angeles area, including once within days of the attack that killed 14 people, according to Bowdich. When asked if Malik shot first during the attack, Bowdich said the FBI does not have a sense of "who was in control" when the shooting began.

​John D'Angelo, ATF assistant special agent in charge of the Los Angeles Field Division, also confirmed Monday that there were five firearms involved in Wednesday's mass shooting. All were legally purchased with a federal firearms license between 2007 and 2012. Following the news conference, ATF special agent Meredith Davis declined to give specific dates.

Farook is listed as the purchaser for the two semi-automatic 9 mm handguns recovered from the black Ford SUV and a .22 caliber rifle recovered from the home in Redlands.

The two .223 caliber assault-style rifles found in the suspects' SUV were purchased by a friend of Farook's — Enrique Marquez — according to the ATF. It is unclear how those firearms transferred from Marquez to Farook. "Right now our major concern is determining how these got from Marquez to Farook and Malik," said D'Angelo.

The Associated Press reports Marquez hasn't been charged with a crime, and it's unclear if he did anything illegal.

D'Angelo said the weapons are undergoing forensic tests. 

When asked about Marquez and whether the FBI has spoken to him, D'Angelo said he could not comment because of the ongoing investigation.

Property records show a man by the name of Enrique Marquez resides in the 3800 block of Tomlinson Avenue in Riverside. Last week, multiple neighbors told KPCC that Farook grew up in the 3800  block of Tomlinson Avenue in Riverside in a home that was at one point owned by Rafia Sultana Farook and Syed Farook, according to federal court records.

— KPCC staff

9:30 a.m. San Bernardino County reopens for business

In San Bernardino Monday, the reopening of much of the government's offices signals an effort to return to normalcy for a community that has been in shock and mourning since the killings Wednesday.

"To honor them, to express our gratitude for their unimaginable sacrifice, we have to fight to maintain that ordinary," San Bernardino County Supervisor Janice Rutherford said Monday of the victims. "We can't be afraid of our lives, of our community, of our neighbors, of our co-workers."

People walk past the Inland Regional Center were 14 people were killed on Dec. 7, 2015 in San Bernardino. FBI and other law enforcement officials continue to investigate the mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino that left 14 people dead and another 21 injured on Dec. 2.
People walk past the Inland Regional Center were 14 people were killed on Dec. 7, 2015 in San Bernardino. FBI and other law enforcement officials continue to investigate the mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino that left 14 people dead and another 21 injured on Dec. 2.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

The Board of Supervisors said at a news conference that all facilities would have increased security, including armed sheriff's patrols, and they are looking at additional permanent safeguards. Counseling centers and a hotline are open, and managers have been asked to look for signs of distress in their employees.

Public Health Director Trudy Raymundo, who attended the holiday luncheon where Tashfeen Malik and Syed Farook attacked, thanked law enforcement who guided workers to safety and shielded them from harm. She also expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support worldwide.

The victims will be honored at a candlelight vigil Monday night at California State University, San Bernardino. The gathering will be held at Lower Commons Patio starting at 6:30 p.m.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department published a message to its Facebook page Monday morning asking that county employees remain vigilant and report suspicious activity. 

Facebook post from county

Following the attack, the county shut down except for essential services, with many of its 20,000 employees staying home, said Felisa Cardona, a county spokeswoman. While most employees went back to work Monday, those at the Environmental Health Services division, where Farook and many of the victims worked, will be off at least one more week, she said.

Investigators were looking into what led Malik, 29, and Farook, 28, to attack Farook's co-workers. The couple were killed in a shootout with police hours later.

Farook's estranged father, also named Syed Farook, told Italian newspaper La Stampa that his son shared the ideology of the Islamic State group and was fixated on Israel.

In an address to the nation Sunday, President Barack Obama said the attack was an "act of terrorism designed to kill innocent people." While there was no evidence the shooters were directed by a terror network overseas or were part of a broader plot, "the two of them had gone down the dark path of radicalization," he said.

AP

This story has been updated.