Local

Officials say Van Nuys fire sparked by charging hoverboard

A charging hoverboard caused significant damage to a Van Nuys home over the weekend.
A charging hoverboard caused significant damage to a Van Nuys home over the weekend.
LAFD

Los Angeles Fire officials say a weekend blaze that damaged a Van Nuys home was caused by a hoverboard that was being charged.

Department spokeswoman Margaret Stewart says the fire Sunday caused significant damage to the residence. Nobody was hurt.

Reports of hoverboards bursting into flames have come out of at least 10 states in recent months.

The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered devices are prohibited on all Metrolink trains, under a ban that went into effect Monday.