Crime & Justice

$35,000 reward offered to find suspect in home-invasion/sexual assault cases

The suspect in at least eight home-invasion/sexual assault incidents.
The suspect in at least eight home-invasion/sexual assault incidents.
Los Angeles Police Department

A total of $35,000 in reward money is being offered to find leads to catch the suspect in several home-invasion and sexual assault cases from earlier this month.

A suspect was caught on surveillance video in at least eight instances since the first on Aug. 1, according to the Los Angeles Police Department in a release from Councilman Mitch O'Farrell's office. The suspect allegedly targeted apartments/residents in East Hollywood, Echo Park and Hollywood and attempted sexual acts on at least two victims.

LAPD detectives said at a City Hall news conference that the suspect wore the same clothes in each attempt: blue high-top sneakers and a green T-shirt with an image of the Virgin Mary. He has also been known to carry a knife on him.

The rewards are being offered by both Los Angeles County and the city of L.A. They come from motions from O'Farrell and L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis.

"In addition to capturing the person who committed these crimes, I want to send a strong message to the community that this type of behavior will not be tolerated," O'Farrell said in a statement.

The suspect has been described as between 25 and 30 years old, approximately 6 feet tall, between about 170 and 190 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes.