All remaining evacuations and road closures related to the Canyon Fire 2 have been lifted, according to a statement from the Orange County Fire Authority
Firefighters aided by cooler overnight temperatures gained some ground on a wildfire that erupted earlier in the week and quickly spread into Anaheim Hills.
Canyon Fire 2 was 45 percent contained as of Wednesday morning, a small bump from the 40 percent figure given the night before.
The fire has burned through 8,000 acres in Orange County, destroying 15 structures and damaging 12 more, according to the latest information from incident command. Earlier it was reported that 24 homes had been destroyed.
Fire officials said they are still assessing damages and that the numbers were likely to continue fluctuating.
Anaheim residents whose homes were damaged can request a building inspection here.
Crews faced their toughest challenge on the eastern flank, the rugged and remote terrain near the Cleveland National Forest, according to Captain Larry Kurtz with the Orange County Fire Authority.
“It’s very up-and-down country. It’s very inaccessible, so getting to it is going to be very, very tough. We just got to basically hike in there and cut this line by hand,” Kurtz told KPCC.
Fire officials urged caution to returning evacuees as emergency crews and equipment continue to work in some of the areas impacted by the fire.
More than 250 engines, some 1,600 personnel, 13 helicopters and five air tankers continue to battle the fire, but they faced milder weather heading into Wednesday.
The National Weather Service reports temperatures in the 70s and light winds of just 5 mph to 10 mph, compared with the strong Santa Ana gusts earlier in the week.
This story has been updated.