Updated 8:45 pm
The Creek Fire has grown to 15,323 acres and 20 percent contained. Mandatory evacuations for most residents affected by the Creek Fire were lifted earlier Thursday.
The Shadow Hills area north of Sunland Boulevard, Ebey Canyon and Doane Canyon are open to residents only. Limekiln Canyon remains closed from Pacoima Canyon Road to Maclay Street.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said he was glad to give some better news Thursday afternoon, as progress was being made on the fire near Sylmar.
More than 150,000 residents had been evacuated in previous days from these neighborhoods: Santa Clarita, Glendale, Olive View, Lakeview Terrace, Sunland, Shadow Hills, Sylmar, Pacoima, Lopez Canyon and Kagel Canyon.
Sixty-three structures have been destroyed and 45 structures damaged, but that number may rise as authorities continue to survey the damage. About 2,500 structures remained threatened.
Two people were injured and no deaths were reported.
A gradual reduction of winds are expected going into the night, with gusts up to 40 mph.
The fire broke out early Tuesday morning at Gold Creek Road and Little Tujunga Canyon Road in the Angeles National Forest. Heavy brush and strong winds pushed the flames into Lake View Terrace and Shadow Hills.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation.
- Limekiln Canyon
Ebey Canyon and Doane Canyon are only open to residents.
All shelters are accepting evacuees and pets with their owner.
- Sylmar Recreation Center (13109 Borden Ave., Los Angeles)
- Branford Recreation Center (13306 Branford Street, Arleta)
- Van Nuys Sherman Oaks Recreation Center (14201 Huston Street, Sherman Oaks)
FOR SMALL ANIMALS:
- West Valley Animal Shelter (20655 Plummer St., Chatsworth)
- East Valley Animal Shelter (14409 Vanowen St., Van Nuys)
FOR LARGE ANIMALS:
- Hansen Dam Equestrian Center (11798 Foothill Blvd., Sylmar)
- Antelope Valley Fairgrounds (2551 W Avenue H, Lancaster)
It was announced that all L.A. Unified schools in the San Fernando Valley would be closed through Friday, and 265 LAUSD and affiliated charter schools will be closed Thursday. You can see the full list at LAUSD.net.
- Limekiln Canyon is closed at Gavina Avenue at Tibbetts Street and Harding Street at Maclay Street
- Little Tujunga is closed from mile marker 19.5 to Sand Canyon at Placerita Canyon
KPCC journalists are covering the fires burning across Southern California and are working hard to answer community members' questions. Let us know what you need to know below.