Bruno Mars owned the Grammys with his R&B-inspired album "24K Magic," winning all six awards he was nominated for at a show where hip-hop was expected to have a historical night.
Jay-Z, the leading nominee with eight, walked away empty handed Sunday — a year after his wife lost album of the year to Adele, causing fans and peers to criticize the Recording Academy for not properly rewarding Beyonce's bold "Lemonade" project.
And though Kendrick Lamar won five awards, he lost in the top categories, marking another year where rappers were restricted to wins in the rap categories, instead of earning coveted prizes like album of the year.
See below for winners in some of the key categories, followed by a link to the complete list.
- Album of the year: "24K Magic," Bruno Mars.
- Record of the year: "24K Magic," Bruno Mars.
- Song of the year (songwriter's award): "That's What I Like," Bruno Mars.
- Best new artist: Alessia Cara.
- Best pop solo performance: "Shape of You," Ed Sheeran.
- Best pop duo/group performance: "Feel It Still," Portugal. The Man.
- Best traditional pop vocal album: "Tony Bennett Celebrates 90," various artists.
- Best pop vocal album: "Divide," Ed Sheeran.
- Best rock album: "A Deeper Understanding," The War on Drugs.
- Best alternative music album: "Sleep Well Beast," The National.
- Best rap album: "DAMN.," Kendrick Lamar.
- Best rap song: "HUMBLE.," Kendrick Lamar.
- Best rap performance: Kendrick Lamar.
- Best urban contemporary album: "Starboy," The Weeknd.
- Best R&B album: "24K Magic," Bruno Mars.
- Best R&B performance: Bruno Mars.
- Best R&B song: "That's What I Like," Bruno Mars.
- Best dance/electronic album: "3-D The Catalogue," Kraftwerk.
- Best country album: "From A Room: Volume 1," Chris Stapleton.
- Best jazz vocal album: "Dreams And Daggers," Cecile McLorin Salvant.
- Best jazz instrumental album: "Rebirth," Billy Childs.
- Best compilation soundtrack for visual media: "La La Land," various artists.
- Best music video: "HUMBLE.," Kendrick Lamar.
You can see the complete list of winners on the Grammys website.