Environment & Science

This art installation shows how many drink containers you throw away every year

One person's annual drink container usage makes up this pie chart. The smaller dolphin represents the 32 percent of bottles, cans and cartons that are recycled. The other 68 percent is thrown away.
One person's annual drink container usage makes up this pie chart. The smaller dolphin represents the 32 percent of bottles, cans and cartons that are recycled. The other 68 percent is thrown away.
KPCC/Caleigh Wells

Listen to story

00:58
Download this story 1.0MB

The average American uses 839 drink containers every year. That's bottles, cans and cartons. So the Container Recycling Institute went to Hermosa Beach and turned those 839 containers into a work of art.