He's hardly a director, but Gov. Gavin Newsom has said the word Hollywood has been waiting to hear: Action! Newsom, through the California Department of Public Health, announced late Friday that film and television production can restart as soon as June 12. But rather than give a blanket green light to every show and movie poised to get cameras rolling, the governor's instructions included several caveats, some of which may present problems for work in Los Angeles County.
The resumption of production is "subject to approval by county public health officers," Newsom said, adding that crews must obey "safety protocols agreed by labor and management, which may be further enhanced by county public health officers." The governor previously said that even if parts of the state are slowly reopening, Los Angeles County, with new confirmed coronavirus cases still topping 1,000 a day, would likely trail other counties in completely restarting. In a 22-page report released on Monday, an industry task force organized by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers published a variety of ideas for health testing and infection prevention on film and TV sets, including a mandatory on-set coronavirus monitor. That report also detailed how social distancing might work on a typically crowded set. Today on AirTalk, we get the latest from KPCC’s John Horn. We also want to hear from listeners. Do you work in the film and production industry? What are your thoughts on where things stand? Call 866-893-5722.
With files from LAist. Read the full story from John Horn here