Larry Mantle and KPCC film critics Claudia Puig, Peter Rainer and Charles Solomon review this weekend’s new movie releases.
- "Spider-Man: into the Spider-Verse" in wide release
- "Mary Poppins Returns" in wide release
- "If Beale Street Could Talk" at the ArcLight Hollywood & The Landmark
- Our sister show "The Frame" aired interviews earlier this week with the film's director Barry Jenkins and composer Nicholas Britell. You can listen to those interviews here
- "The Mule" in wide release
- "Capernaum" at Laemmle's Royal Theater
- "Springsteen on Broadway" on Netflix (starts streaming Sunday December 16)
- "Never-Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki" in select theaters (check local listings)
- LAFCA will present Miyazaki with their Lifetime Achievement Award at the LAFCA awards on Saturday January 12
- "Mortal Engines" in wide release
- "Bird Box" at the Landmark Regent Theater & streaming on Netflix starting Fri. December 21
- "Tyrel" at Laemmle's Monica Film Center
- "That Way Madness Lies..." at Laemmle's Monica Film Center
- "Once Upon A Deadpool" in select theaters (check local listings)
- The 20th Annual Animation Show of Shows at Laemmle's Monica Film Center & Laemmle's Glendale
- "Don't Look Now" at Laemmle's Ahrya Fine Arts Theatre
Claudia: "If Beale Street Could Talk' & 'Capernaum'
Peter: 'Springsteen on Broadway', 'That Way Madness Lies...' & 'Don't Look Now'
Charles: 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse', 'Never-Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki' & The 20th Annual Animation Show of Shows
Claudia: 'Once Upon a Deadpool'
Peter: 'The Mule' & 'Tyrel'
Charles: "Mary Poppins Returns'
Claudia: 'Mortal Engines'
Peter: 'Bird Box'
Peter Rainer, film critic for KPCC and the Christian Science Monitor