They're calling it the worst August box office in 15 years, but don't blame it on the Mayweather McGregor fight. It may be the dog days of summer, but there's lots of news happening in the entertainment business.
John Horn is the host of KPCC's entertainment program, the Frame. He spoke to Libby Denkmann about the latest Hollywood news.
- Box office numbers are at a historic low, but it may not be for the reasons you think.
- This August is down 35% from a year ago, and the summer overall is running 14% down from last summer. This could be the first summer in a decade where total ticket sales are not $4 billion or more.
- The quality of entertainment people can get at home (i.e. Game of Thrones, Netflix originals, etc.) are worth staying home for as opposed to some of the latest August releases.
- The Frame is going to Telluride.
- KPCC's culture and entertainment show is already looking ahead to awards season. Each of the last five best picture Oscar winners have either had their world or domestic premiere at Telluride.
To listen to the full segment, click the blue play button above.