News and culture through the lens of Southern California.
Hosted by A Martínez
Airs Weekdays 2 to 3 p.m.

Arroyo Seco Parkway Proposed Changes, Emmy Awards Recap, LACMA Japanese Art Exhibit




Arroyo Seco Parkway.
Arroyo Seco Parkway.
waltarrrrr/Flickr Creative Commons

Listen to story

48:23
Download this story 34MB

The California Department of Transportation is proposing changes to the Arroyo Seco Parkway  that would make it more safe to drive. Plus, who won, who lost and who was snubbed at the Emmy Awards. And, we visit LACMA's new Japanese art exhibit.

Power Shutoff

Santa Ana winds are in the forecast starting tonight in Los Angeles and Ventura, bringing warm, dry air back to a region that's vulnerable to wildfires. Similar weather conditions in Northern California were enough for the major power company up there (PG&E) to preemptively shut off power to 124,000 customers. But what about down here? SoCal Edison says it's monitoring the situation, and, if conditions worsen, it might do the same for just over 10,000 customers. It's all part of a statewide program where power companies will flip off the switch in certain areas to make sure that utility lines downed by fierce winds don't spark a wildfire.

Guest:

Emmy Awards

Last night may have marked a new era in Emmy history. The awards show suffered a 23% drop from last year's telecast -- a new all-time low. Plus, cable and streaming shows took home 86% of the trophies leaving just 14% to traditional broadcast shows. But it wasn't all bad news. A lot of the winners marked historical victories and powerful moments for the awards show.

Guest:

New CSU Math

This fall California State University campuses begin the second year of a major overhaul to their freshman classes. Cal State did away with remedial classes and is placing students who need help into new classes they hope will lead more students to earn their degrees, quicker. Some campuses say last year was a success, so KPCC's Adolfo Guzman-Lopez went back to college to find out what's in the secret sauce.

110 Makeover

State Route 110, aka Arroyo Seco Parkway, aka that freeway that's really hard to get on and off of could be at the beginning of some major changes. CalTrans is well aware of the freeway's unsafe reputation. Now, they're studying ways to make that freeway safer for motorists. They're proposing five different options. 

Your Climate Questions Answered

Leaders from more than 60 countries gathered today in New York for the United Nations Summit on climate change, although our own President did not stay for much of it, according to reports. Here at KPCC, we spent a lot of time last week talking about it and what can be done to mitigate its effects and adapt to them. It was part of a global initiative with more than 200 other media outlets called Covering Climate Now. Throughout the week, we heard from many of you who said you'd like more of this kind of coverage. So today, we answer some questions that listeners sent us asking about different aspects of climate change. To help us out with a few of them, we've called up a couple people at the California Institute of Technology.

Guests:

Life of Animals in Japanese Art at LACMA

From Godzilla to elephants, tigers and monkeys, animals have been an important part of Japanese culture for centuries. A new exhibition at LACMA just opened last weekend. It’s called “Every Living Thing: Animals in Japanese Art.”  Take Two contributor Betto Arcos went to check it out.