State of Affairs
Our homegrown senator, Kamala Harris, now shares a ticket with Joe Biden and you can bet that politicos on both sides of the aisle have a whole lot of thoughts on that. Meanwhile: As Republicans face November uncertainty, the future of minority leader Kevin McCarthy is called into question. We cover all that and more.
- Carla Marinucci, Senior Editor for Politico's California Playbook
- Rachel Vansickle Ward, Professor of Political Studies at Pitzer College
- Zach Courser, Co-Director of the Policy Lab at Claremont McKenna College
Without a good reason to be "seen" in a pandemic, shoppers have shifted to buying more comfy clothes like sweatpants. That has decimated the fortunes of the fashion industry, which has always believed people want flashy and stylish clothes. We discuss what this means for shoppers and the latest piece, "Sweatpants Forever."
- Irina Aleksander, New York Times Magazine writer
California Love Check-In
Now, speaking of pods, California Love is produced by LAist Studios and hosted by New York Times Writer Walter Thompson-Hernandez ...and its part personal story ... part reporting...but entire a love letter to Los Angeles and its surrounding communities…So far the series has dug into local topics like the Compton Cowboys, the green parrots that fly LA's skies... and the infamous juvenile justice program, known as "scared straight." We discuss all that and more.
- Walter Thompson-Hernandez, Host of "California Love"
Back To School
The new school year has arrived, but the children of L.A. county will start it off unlike any other ever. Distance learning is the new norm for now at least. So what do families need to put in place to set their kids up for success? And how can they get what they need-- be in a laptop or tablet, good internet speed and a quiet corner of the home-- without it costing too much money?
- Akilah Lyons-Moore, Assistant Professor of Clinical Education at USC’s Rossier School of Education
KPCC's Leo Duran shares some of the best events online and in-person to be a part of this weekend.