On the most recent episode of the The Awards Show Show, a podcast co-produced by The Frame and Vulture.com, co-hosts John Horn and Kyle Buchanan made their Oscar predictions for every single category — so you don't have to.
Two key points to remember in your Oscars pool: You'll win big by knowing more about more obscure categories like live-action shorts, so study up; and many of the categories are predictable based on previous awards, so taking a look at who's won so far can give you a leg up.
For awards like cinematography and music — plus all the big categories — here's who John and Kyle think will be taking home a little golden man this Sunday. You can hear the analysis behind these Oscar picks in the two most recent episodes of The Awards Show Show.
John Horn and Kyle Buchanan's Oscar Predictions
The Revenant (After debating between this film, The Big Short, and Spotlight John and Kyle agree as of the latest episode of The Awards Show Show to go with the Iñárritu epic.)
Directing: NOTE: This is the "nail-biter" category that leave John and Kyle on the edge of their seats.
Alejandro G. Iñárritu for The Revenant, George Miller for Mad Max: Fury Road, or Adam McKay for The Big Short (John split)
Alejandro G. Iñárritu for The Revenant or George Miller for Mad Max: Fury Road (Kyle split)
- Best Actress: Brie Larson, Room
- Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
- Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone, Creed
- Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki for The Revenant
- Animated Feature Film: Inside Out
Film Editing: Margaret Sixel for Mad Max: Fury Road (Kyle)
Hank Corwin for The Big Short (John)
Music (Original Score): Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight, or John Williams for Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Kyle split)
Carter Burwell for Carol (John)
Costume Design: Sandy Powell for Carol (John)
Jenny Beaven for Mad Max: Fury Road (Kyle)
- Production Design: Colin Gibson and Lisa Thompson for Mad Max: Fury Road
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Sound Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Sound Mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road, or The Revenant (John split)
The Revenant (Kyle)
Visual Effects: The Revenant, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, or The Big Short (John split)
Mad Max: Fury Road, or The Revenant (Kyle split)
- Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul, with Mustang as runner-up
- Music (Original Song): Dianne Warren and Lady Gaga's "Til It Happens To You" for The Hunting Ground
- Documentary (Feature): Amy, with Cartel Land as runner-up
- Short Film (Animated): Sanjay's Super Team
- Documentary (Short Subject): Body Team 12
- Short Film (Live Action): Ave Maria
In addition, below is KPCC's awards tracker with links to the Frame's interviews with nominees, more predictions from different sources, the awards that the nominees in the acting, directing and Best Picture categories have won so far, and more.
The 88th Academy Awards will air this Sunday, February 28 at 5:30 p.m. PST.